Commit on Rename?

Ed Dickens

I just tried to rename a control using the tool.

The control was renamed, but it then tried to do a Commit on the renamed file. Our repository is setup to not allow a commit unless you enter comments, so I received an error that the commit didn't complete.

Is there a reason you do a commit on a Rename operation? Seems you'd just want to do a 'Delete' on the old file and an 'Add' on the one.

Don't know if it makes a difference but this is on a Real Time target.

Ed

Hi Ed,

> Is there a reason you do a commit on a Rename operation?

When you select Rename from the JKI TSVN Tool menu, the it first invokes the TSVN Rename command, and then (after a successful rename) invokes the TSVN Commit operation -- this gives you the opportunity to Commit the file, if you wish. If you don't want to commit, you can just press the Cancel button on the Commit dialog.

In the future, we may add an option for whether or not you want the tool to automatically invoke the Commit after a successful Rename (or other operations).

> Seems you'd just want to do a 'Delete' on the old file and an 'Add' on the one.

The TSVN Rename operation is better than doing a Delete and then an Add, since it preserves the commit history -- SVN actually keeps track that the file was renamed. However, this fact is not related to why we invoke the Commit, after a rename (as discussed, above).

Did I understand and answer your questions correctly?

-Jim

Thanks

I guess I just missed the fact that one of the dialogs I clicked through was the Commit dialog. I suppose I should slow down and read.

I just didn't expect it since doing a Rename from the TSVN context menu doesn't invoke a Commit.

Ed

Hi Ed,

> Is there a reason you do a commit on a Rename operation?

When you select Rename from the JKI TSVN Tool menu, the it first invokes the TSVN Rename command, and then (after a successful rename) invokes the TSVN Commit operation -- this gives you the opportunity to Commit the file, if you wish. If you don't want to commit, you can just press the Cancel button on the Commit dialog.

In the future, we may add an option for whether or not you want the tool to automatically invoke the Commit after a successful Rename (or other operations).

> Seems you'd just want to do a 'Delete' on the old file and an 'Add' on the one.

The TSVN Rename operation is better than doing a Delete and then an Add, since it preserves the commit history -- SVN actually keeps track that the file was renamed. However, this fact is not related to why we invoke the Commit, after a rename (as discussed, above).

Did I understand and answer your questions correctly?

-Jim

Archived