How did you do that Template thing?

Bob Schor

I confess that I don't use Templates as often as I should, in part because they are nowhere near as easy to simply "drop down and use" as the JKI State Machine template.

How did you do that? If I have a VI that I want to use as a template, and have it appear in, say, the User Libraries "slot" in the Function palette and have the feature that dragging onto my block diagram will simply insert its code, what do I have to do? [A simple experiment shows that simply putting a template into a folder in user.lib doesn't work -- it just deposits the VI as a sub-VI, which, if double-clicked, "opens up", but "inside itself" instead of the code appearing where you wanted to put it] [boy, even I don't quite understand what I just said, but I hope you get the idea].

Bob Schor

I confess that I don't use Templates as often as I should, in part because they are nowhere near as easy to simply "drop down and use" as the JKI State Machine template.

That's a special setting in the Palette item for that specific VI.

I think it's called 'Place VI Contents'.

Ton

That's a special setting in the Palette item for that specific VI.

I think it's called 'Place VI Contents'.

Ton

It's so easy when you know what you're doing! Thanks! Now to learn more about palettes so I can do some more "customization" ... (any hints on helpful reference material?).

BS

It's so easy when you know what you're doing! Thanks! Now to learn more about palettes so I can do some more "customization" ... (any hints on helpful reference material?).

BS

If you are using VIPM 2010 community (with free package building), it has this feature in the palette editor. So you can build a templates package and configure this option as well.

Time to build some packages of your reuse I think. :)

If you are using VIPM 2010 community (with free package building), it has this feature in the palette editor. So you can build a templates package and configure this option as well.

Time to build some packages of your reuse I think. :)

Yes, doing "more" with VIPM is also on my "list of skills to acquire this year, I hope". Is there a tutorial, manual, or video showing the Palette tools in VIPM?

Archived