Getting Error Code: 8 on Install of Package

amaggs145

I am trying to install a package that built succesfully but getting an error at install and the install fails. The same package that is failing to install on my PC installed fine on another PC... I attached an image of the error message, the package that is not installing properly, and also the folder with the source code that was used to build the package.

post-3722-0-76887400-1313016973_thumb.png

conditional_auto_indexing_tunnel.zip

rfi_lib_conditional_auto-indexing_tunnel-1.0.0.5.vip

What operating system version and LabVIEW version are you installing on? Both in the case that worked and did not work.

For example Windows 7\32bit 64bit\ LV8.5 etc.

LabVIEW version 8.5 on both machines. On the machine that worked, Windows XP, and on the machine that isn't working, Windows 7. Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks for the help http://forums.jki.net/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

I'm suspecting that the issue is the permissions on the LabVIEW folders under Windows 7. I think Windows 7 wasn't officially supported by NI until LabVIEW 8.6. This means that the permissions settings are probably preventing VIPM from installing the packages. This should not be an issue with LabVIEW 8.6 and later.

One workaround is to force VIPM to run with Administrator privileges under Windows 7. This might get you access to install the package without errors.

To do this, right-click on the VIPM executable shortcut and select: "Run as administrator" form the menu.

Then try running through the same package installation process. Let me know how it goes.

I'm suspecting that the issue is the permissions on the LabVIEW folders under Windows 7. I think Windows 7 wasn't officially supported by NI until LabVIEW 8.6. This means that the permissions settings are probably preventing VIPM from installing the packages. This should not be an issue with LabVIEW 8.6 and later.

One workaround is to force VIPM to run with Administrator privileges under Windows 7. This might get you access to install the package without errors.

To do this, right-click on the VIPM executable shortcut and select: "Run as administrator" form the menu.

Then try running through the same package installation process. Let me know how it goes.

Hi Michael,

Yes sir, this did it! Thanks for your help.

By the way, on another note. Is the way that I recreated this package compliant with OpenG's software licensing? In general is it okay to take any code under the BSD licensing and modify it to suit specific needs as long as the license and liability clauses stay intact?

I would question the reason. The code is already available as a package. Why not use it? What's the problem?

The issue with the existing package is that if the input is not a predefined LV data type, the VI will morph the input, and the output becomes a variant where I now have to convert back to my original data type. So I have created a package with the same code but it drops the code onto the block diagram instead of the VI.

But whether or not this is a breach of license I don't think depends on the designer's reason/motive, does it? I guess my question was a general one, rather than specific to this circumstance. But indecently this circumstance is an example of what I am generally concerned about.

Thanks

Archived