Can't Get Additional Package(s) to Install in Existing Palette

amaggs145

So I have created some reusable VIs, packaged them, and had them install in my palette here: Functions\RFI\RFI Comparison Tools

This worked great for the first package, but then when I created a another package of a reusable VI's and wanted them to install in the same palette as above, it just created a duplicate RFI Comparison Tools palette and installed these new VIs there. However I would like the previously installed VIs and these newer ones to all install on the same palette.

What am I doing wrong?

Let me know if you need me to post the packages or source code.

Thanks

Is RFI setup to be a custom category? If you want to do this you need to use custom categories.

Yes, I have RFI as a custom category and under RFI I have RFI Comparison Tools as the Functions Palette, and it is this palette that I would like to be able to add many VI's from different packages.

Every package needs to define the RFI custom category in order for it to work.

Hi Michael,

All of my packages thus far have RFI as the custom category. But there is a level below this custom category (the Functions level) that I want VI's to be added from different packages, I am not sure if this is possible or not. I am attaching my source code with the two packages that I am hoping that their VIs can be consolidated under 1 Functions palette.

The 2 packages with VI's to be consolidated under 1 Functions palette. (The name of this Functions Palette is "RFI Comparison Tools")

1. rfi_lib_valid_number_expression-1.0.0.3.vip
  2. rfi_lib_within_percentage--1.0.0.5.vip

There is also one other package included that is needed for a dependency:

1. rfi_lib_plus_&_minus_percentage-1.0.0.5.vip

Packages and Source Code.zip

This feature is not available currently in VIPM. Just to clarify. Multiple packages can definitely target the same category. But in your case, you want to merge the subpalettes. We are working on adding something like this to VIPM since it has been asked by others as well. For now, I would dedicate your package to it's own subpalette within the common category.

• 2 months later...

This feature is not available currently in VIPM. Just to clarify. Multiple packages can definitely target the same category. But in your case, you want to merge the subpalettes. We are working on adding something like this to VIPM since it has been asked by others as well. For now, I would dedicate your package to it's own subpalette within the common category.

Hi Michael, it has been a few months since we talked about this feature. I am just wondering if this is something that is likely to be available soon or is kind of on the back burner for the moment. I guess I am just trying to figure out if I should put the effort into a work-around (which means rebuilding packages etc..), or just deal with it the way it presently is because a solution will be available soon. Thanks

Hi Michael, it has been a few months since we talked about this feature. I am just wondering if this is something that is likely to be available soon or is kind of on the back burner for the moment. I guess I am just trying to figure out if I should put the effort into a work-around (which means rebuilding packages etc..), or just deal with it the way it presently is because a solution will be available soon. Thanks

We are considering this for the nest major release of VIPM, which probably won't happen until mid-2012. Any release that come out from now until then will only be bug fix releases.

• 2 years later...

Archived