A note of caution to Mac and Linux users

cmal

From the VIPM 2017 release notes:

Packages built with VIPM 2017 can only be installed on VIPM 2017 or newer. Package built with VIPM 2017 cannot be installed on versions of VIPM 2016 or older.

The only solution to this is to upgrade to VIPM 2017 if you want to install any packages built in that version.

The problem here is that VIPM 2017 does not exist for Mac or Linux. In fact, version 2014 is the latest available download for those platforms. This means that any new package built with Windows cannot be installed on any non-Windows systems, effectively eliminating VIPM support for Mac and Linux.

If you use VIPM on Mac or Linux, you may want to hold off on upgrading to LabVIEW 2017 until this gets resolved.

Edited by cmal

• 2 months later...

Packages built with VIPM 2017

Yes but - having the sources and the package build specification, known to work VIPM 2017, as well as several LV versions installed, can a package be built with 2014-linux?

Specifically I'm thinking at this package. I don't think it contains any code which needs the very latest LV features, in fact it is provided for LV2015. If I try to load its .vipb in VIPM 2014-linux, I just get "VI Package Builder was unable to open the build spec due to an error". Perhaps something offending in this .vipm which could be patched at hand?

ref: https://lavag.org/topic/20262-cr-lv-muparser/?do=findComment&comment=123699

PS:

This means that any new package built with Windows cannot be installed on any non-Windows systems, effectively eliminating VIPM support for Mac and Linux.

If you use VIPM on Mac or Linux, you may want to hold off on upgrading to LabVIEW 2017 until this gets resolved.

Not entirely true. VIPM 2014-linux is able to install for me a lot of packages built with earlier versions of VIPM, on LV-linux 2015, 16 and 17.

PS:

Not entirely true. VIPM 2014-linux is able to install for me a lot of packages built with earlier versions of VIPM, on LV-linux 2015, 16 and 17.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. The problem here is that Mac and Linux cannot be used to install packages built with VIPM 2017. I'm not talking about earlier versions.

You mention that having the source and build spec would allow someone to use a package on Mac or Linux, but that doesn't help at all in the most common case where only the .vip file is made available. As far as I know, all the packages on LabVIEW Tools Network, JKI Package Network, etc do not have source files and build spec available for download. This means that future builds of released packages made with VIPM 2017 will not be available on Mac or Linux.

• 4 years later...

Hi @cmal, @ensegre,

We have just released a beta of VIPM 2022 for Linux and Mac which is a 64-bit app that uses the LabVIEW 2019 64-bit Runtime Engine. It should work well with LabVIEW 2022 and earlier.

There is an announcement and download link here:

Please post in the VIPM 2022 for Mac and Linux beta forum and let us know how it works for you.

-Jim