NIPM unable to find distribution

Mads Toppe

Trying to repair NI RIO on my machine NIPM keeps asking for the location of the VI Package Manager RunTime Engine:

image.png.2a473ca3dc380525021193e4b1a89bf4.png

And the location it shows is of cours enot accepted (nor can I find one that it does accept).

The funny thing though is that this happens even after I have uninstalled all parts of VIPM(!). Reinstalling VIPM does not resolve the issue either...Any ideas?

• Upvote 1

I've seen similar behavior during building of LabVIEW application installer.

We've installed LabVIEW 2019 some time ago, and then cleared NI Packages cache. 

Then later on we had to build executable and installer. Executable was built without issues, but with installers were problems - LabVIEW "asked" to provide installation media for various distributions/drivers, including VIPM Run-Time Engine (which had nothing to do with our application).

Reinstalling VIPM didn't help.

In our case, the solution was to repair LabVIEW completely, using installation media.

14 hours ago, Mads Toppe said:

Trying to repair NI RIO on my machine NIPM keeps asking for the location of the VI Package Manager RunTime Engine:

image.png.2a473ca3dc380525021193e4b1a89bf4.png

And the location it shows is of course not accepted (nor can I find one that it does accept).

The funny thing though is that this happens even after I have uninstalled all parts of VIPM(!). Reinstalling VIPM does not resolve the issue either...Any ideas?

Hi @Mads Toppe.

What version of NI RIO is on your machine that you're trying to repair?

A comment I got back from an NI support person is that the "dialog looks like a “metaInstaller” which would be pre-2019, in which case it’s an OS thing from the MSI installer. "

I'm not sure if that's helpful or not. I'm hoping to hear more back from NI. I'll keep you posted.

I suspect that the issue was that after installing VIPM as part of the LabVIEW installation I had applied an update to VIPM. NIPM offered me to uninstall VIPM, but I noticed that after uninstalling in NIPM (and NIPM reported that no VIPM was installed) I could still find VIPM under Programs and Features. Once I uninstalled it from there as well  I was able to run the repair from NIPM.

If this is the case the issue could perhaps reappear though, due to the VIPM update function....If NIPM is not directly involved it loses track of what is installed and from where...?

Edited by Mads Toppe
  • Upvote 1

Hi @Mads Toppe,

So that I can get NI support into the loop on this, can you please submit a bug report with NI and then respond back to me with the link to that ticket (you can send it to me off-line if you prefer).

When you submit the ticket to NI, please list the steps you took to get into the situation (if you can) and also provide the screenshots you posted here in the forum.

I can then work to get the ticket escalated and reproduced internally by NI so their dev team can figure out what happened.

Thanks!

Hi @Mads Toppe,

Can you try this?

Download this zipped up version of the VIPM Runtime Engine installer and point the "Select Distribution" dialog to where you extracted it?

vipm-runtime-engine-19.1.3-windows.zip

I'm hoping that will help you get past this step.

The longer story is that it seems there's some deadlock happening due to the way NIPM and NI's older driver installers work.

Hopefully, we'll get you going again. Please let me know if this works for you.

Hi @Jim Kring

11 hours ago, Jim Kring said:

Hi @Mads Toppe,

Can you try this?

Download this zipped up version of the VIPM Runtime Engine installer and point the "Select Distribution" dialog to where you extracted it?

vipm-runtime-engine-19.1.3-windows.zip

I'm hoping that will help you get past this step.

The longer story is that it seems there's some deadlock happening due to the way NIPM and NI's older driver installers work.

Hopefully, we'll get you going again. Please let me know if this works for you.

That worked😃.

I had already gotten around the issue by uninstalling VIPM from Programs and Featuresafter having uninstalled it from NIPM.But then as soon as VIPM was reinstalled and updated again from its automatic update feature the issue in NIPM was back. As I suspected...The folder you sent was accepted as a source though so with that it is possible to do a repair without everything halting on the VIPM error.

PS. NIPM is really terrible (compared to VIPM e.g.); From NIPM you cannot even repair VIPM without having to repair almost every component there is of LabVIEW ☹️

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi Jim, I have also now run into a similar issue, I tried the steps in your workaround (with VIPM 2020.3) and it is looking for installer media here: 

image.png.492a598125ce414b38ff438825e362fb.png

The folder is empty.

If I try the workaround and select the downloaded 19.1.3 runtime folder I get this message:

image.png.7ae5ee613f0804fe0dc81b2eb33feb46.png

I also tried:

- Pointing it at the LabVIEW 2017 SP1 Runtime (since that's what I'm building)
- Repairing LabVIEW from NIPM
- Repairing VI Package Manager

This is what's in my installer build spec:

image.png.ea0ec98940cfe6d6100b2259f20ce7f6.png

And the only thing it's complaining about is the "VI Package Manager Runtime Engine":

image.png.1883c84884fbd0bb26a14dac8a41dab1.png

Edited by Sam Sharp

38 minutes ago, Sam Sharp said:

Hi Jim, I have also now run into a similar issue, I tried the steps in your workaround (with VIPM 2020.3) and it is looking for installer media here: 

Hi Sam. I'm sorry for the trouble. This is really a pain...

Can you try using this copy of the "VI Package Manager Runtime Engine" installer?

>> vipm-2020.3.2540-windows-prerequisites.zip <<

This is a copy of the actual temp folder (containing the VIPM runtime engine) extracted during the VIPM 2020.3.2540 installation.

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\JKI\VI Package Manager 2020.3\prerequisites

If that doesn't work, we could try the one from the 2020.3.2532 installer.