VIPM could not connect to LabVIEW 2021 (64-bit) - Linux Opensuse Leap 15.2

ricardoszf

VIPM 2017.0.f1 mar 04 2018 can open and close the Labview 2021 (64-bit), but the VIPM LabVIEW connection verification, always return the message VIPM could not connect to LabVIEW 2021 (64-bit).

The operational system is Linux Opensuse Leap 15.2.

The LabVIEW 2020 is installed in the same machine and it works normally with JKI VIPM (Labview VI Server - port 3363).

The LabVIEW 2021 VI Server is configured to port 3364.

Do you have a solution for this problem?

Can you provide some alternative to install the Add-on of LabVIEW 2021 (64-bit) without using VIPM?

Best Regards,

Imagem VIPM.png

vipm2.png

vipm3.png

9 hours ago, Jim Kring said:

One not-so-great solution is to install the packages in a Windows machine and then copy the installed files over to a Linux machine.

We're working to improve VIPM for Linux, in general, but don't have a target release date.

Hi Jim, thanks for your reply.

Could you provide a tutorial example for this "not-so-great" solution (installing the packages in Windows and copy to Linux)?

I prepared some videos showing the error that happens when I try to use VIPM 2017 with LabVIEW 2021, maybe it can help JKI team to find a solution.

12 hours ago, Jim Kring said:

One not-so-great solution is to install the packages in a Windows machine and then copy the installed files over to a Linux machine.

We're working to improve VIPM for Linux, in general, but don't have a target release date.

Jim,

I installed the Plasmionique Modbus Master v1.3.5.3 by Plasmionique Inc in my Windows machine with VIPM 2021 and LabVIEW 2021.

I transfered the Plamionique Folder from my windows machine (C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2021\vi.lib\Plasmionique) to my Linux machine using FTP.

I did copy the Plasmionique folder that I got from Windows vi.lib folder to Linux vi.lib folder (/usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2020-64/vi.lib), but it doesn’t work. 
What are the folders that must be copied from Windows to Linux?

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Just now, ricardoszf said:

Jim,

I installed the Plasmionique Modbus Master v1.3.5.3 by Plasmionique Inc in my Windows machine with VIPM 2021 and LabVIEW 2021.

I transfered the Plamionique Folder from my windows machine (C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2021\vi.lib\Plasmionique) to my Linux machine using FTP.

I did copy the Plasmionique folder that I got from Windows vi.lib folder to Linux vi.lib folder (/usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2020-64/vi.lib), but it doesn’t work. 
What are the folders that must be copied from Windows to Linux?

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Sorry for my typing mistake -> the Linux vi.lib folder is -> /usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2021-64/vi.lib

Hi There.

Warning: These instructions involve opening important files in VIPM's package installation database. Be very careful not to change anything in these files, or it could corrupt your installation and cause errors that are very hard to recover from.

On your Windows installation, take a look at the following text file:

C:\ProgramData\JKI\VIPM\databases\LV 21.0\mb_master\files-installed

This lists the files that were installed by the Plasmionique Modbus Master package.

Also, note that there may be some other packages installed that the above packages depends upon.

You can take a look in this folder to see what other packages are installed in LabVIEW 2021.

C:\ProgramData\JKI\VIPM\databases\LV 21.0

I hope that helps keep you moving in the right direction...

19 hours ago, Jim Kring said:

Hi There.

Warning: These instructions involve opening important files in VIPM's package installation database. Be very careful not to change anything in these files, or it could corrupt your installation and cause errors that are very hard to recover from.

On your Windows installation, take a look at the following text file:

C:\ProgramData\JKI\VIPM\databases\LV 21.0\mb_master\files-installed

This lists the files that were installed by the Plasmionique Modbus Master package.

Also, note that there may be some other packages installed that the above packages depends upon.

You can take a look in this folder to see what other packages are installed in LabVIEW 2021.

C:\ProgramData\JKI\VIPM\databases\LV 21.0

I hope that helps keep you moving in the right direction...

Hi Jim,

Following your directions, I copied all the folders and files listed in the C:\ProgramData\JKI\VIPM\databases\LV 21.0\mb_master\files-installed.

Now, I can use the Plasmionique Modbus Master Package in LabVIEW 2021 running in Linux Opensuse Leap 15.2.

Thank you very much for your guidance.

I hope that JKI can release an updated VIPM for Linux.
We are trying to work with LabVIEW and Linux in order to benefit from the reliability of both.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

• 9 months later...
On 11/12/2021 at 2:46 AM, ricardoszf said:

Hi Jim,

Following your directions, I copied all the folders and files listed in the C:\ProgramData\JKI\VIPM\databases\LV 21.0\mb_master\files-installed.

Now, I can use the Plasmionique Modbus Master Package in LabVIEW 2021 running in Linux Opensuse Leap 15.2.

Thank you very much for your guidance.

I hope that JKI can release an updated VIPM for Linux.
We are trying to work with LabVIEW and Linux in order to benefit from the reliability of both.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Hi @ricardoszf,

We have just released a beta of VIPM 2022 for Linux.

There is an announcement and download link here:

Please post in the VIPM 2022 for Mac and Linux beta forum and let us know how it works for you.

-Jim