Creating System Dialog Buttons with Custom Icons and Mouse Hover Effects

JKI

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I was exactly following the tutorial eventually creating the control as described. The control works fine if I do not select independent sizes of the picture. But if I want to reach the depressed effect by shifting the image one pixel down and righ I have to select "independent" sizes and then the control starts to act weird - if I press it it moves the picture completely outside the button. The control acts OK in the control window but when I drop it in a VI, run it and press it, it acts as described above. I tried everything but with no effect. The only difference against the tutorial is that I use LV 8.5. May it be caused by it? Is it too confident to ask for ready-made control which actc as it should?

Thanks a lot

here is the control that acts in a strange way as I tried to describe

• 6 months later...
Below is a video tutorial showing how to create the cool system buttons with glyphs and mouse-hover effects that you've seen in VIPM. Make sure to turn on your sound for this one :wub:

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" width="640" height="496"><param name="movie" value="buttons_with_icons.swf"><param name="quality" value="high"><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff"><param name="autoStart" value="false"><embed src="http://forums.jkisoft.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=72" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="640" height="496" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></object>

buttons_with_icons.swf

Are the recessed system buttons used in the video removed from LV 8x? My system buttons are not recessed...

Thanks

Tim C.

No, it should work in 8x, the video shows how to do it in 8.2. It just starts the 8.2 part a few minutes into the video ...

I should have been more clear, the button used in the forst part of the video is from 7.1. It is a recessed system button or at least that is what I thought was said in the video.

My 8X system buttons are not recessed.

I was hoping to find out if the 7.1 recessed system button was removed from the 8X pallette.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Question, I made a button and it works. Cool. :D

I am trying to use it in a x-control with the button in a resizeable pane and wanted to have the button fill the entire pane. that's the easy part. I noticed that the icon scales with the button which is what I was attempting to figure out how to do with a decal when I found this method. That problem is now solved. So I thought, hey, why not put a high res (64x64) icon on there and then it will look much nicer as it rescales, which it does. However, I noticed that if you scale the button down below its original size, you permanently lose the shifting icon effect. I am not sure why. does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg

Archived