How to add my URL to Package Mirrors List

jonni

I would like to add to the OpenG Package Mirrors list my URL. Is that possible to do? If so, how?

And another question, I would like packages to be installed not into system folders, I want packages to be installed in a specific location, either selected by user or, for example, retrieved from custom vi. Is it possible?

Thank you

I would like to add to the OpenG Package Mirrors list my URL. Is that possible to do? If so, how?

No, this is not possible.

And another question, I would like packages to be installed not into system folders, I want packages to be installed in a specific location, either selected by user or, for example, retrieved from custom vi. Is it possible?

I am not quite sure I understand your last question. It is not possible to install a package in another location than the one specified in the package spec (the package spec is a file included in the package) . Doing so would be a bad idea since it will brake inter-package dependencies.

When you create your own packages (apparently you already have done this), you can specified the location where you want to have your libraries installed.

I hope I was able to answer your questions.

Thanks.

Philippe

No, this is not possible.

That is sad, why would you have such restrictions?

When you create your own packages (apparently you already have done this), you can specified the location where you want to have your libraries installed.

As I understand, I have restriction of locations I can choose for packages to be installed. For example, I have an Application in "f:\my_Applications" folder. And I want package to be installed in that folder. I do not think that I will be able to tell VIPM to install packages into such folder. Is this Correct?

As I understand, I have restriction of locations I can choose for packages to be installed. For example, I have an Application in "f:\my_Applications" folder. And I want package to be installed in that folder. I do not think that I will be able to tell VIPM to install packages into such folder. Is this Correct?

Yes you are correct.

As I mentioned before, VIPM installs packages according to the destinations defined in the spec file. VIPM can not overwrite the destination specified by the spec file. I understand that there are also some limitations in the destinations that you can specified when your are creating your package using OpenG Package Builder.

I am interested in understanding why you would want to install a package in another destination than the one defined in the spec file. What is your use case?

Cheers,

Philippe

That is sad, why would you have such restrictions?

Hi Jonni,

Thanks for your feedback.

Custom package URLs is not a restriction, it is a feature that does not exist -- there is a huge difference. If we allow users to specify their own package URLs, then we have to support the client-server protocol/format that VIPM uses. This is something that we want to reserve the right to change in the future and is not something that we wish to support right now. Plus, the Package Mirrors List in VIPM is a list of SourceForge mirrors -- it is not a list of package URLs.

If you can describe to us what you would like to do, we will consider it carefully. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to make VIPM the best tool possible. :huh:

Thanks,

-Jim Kring

• 1 year later...

After reading this I believe that what I was hoping to be able to do with VIPM isn't yet available, however I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something. Basically what I'm doing is looking into using VIPM as our internal distribution method for my companies reuse library. So in theory I would create packages using VIPM Professional as our reuse gets updated. I would then like to have the ability to place these packages somewhere (either a networked drive or some other storage location) that I can configure our other VIPM licenses to check for updated packages. This way our reuse updates/distribution wouldn't be solely dependent on our users having to manually go out and add each package that was updated. I'm basically looking to do something similar as what is being done with the openg libraries internally to make the task of reuse distribution less of a hassle to our engineers. Am I missing something or is this something that isn't possible in the current version? If not, are there any plans for this functionality to appear in a future release?

Thanks,

Dave

Philippe,

Thank you for the reply. I just came across that myself after some more digging around. It sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Do we have any information as to when the next release may be? (General Timeframe maybe?) Also, is there any information as to how it's intended to be licensed? For instance, is each member of the team going to need an enterprise license to get reuse updates and such? Or, is a single enterprise license going to allow a way to push all packages to team members running community/professional? I see that there is already an ongoing beta for this product... Is there likely to be a trial version at the products release? Any more details I can squeeze out?

Thanks,

Dave

Philippe,

Thank you for the reply. I just came across that myself after some more digging around. It sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Do we have any information as to when the next release may be? (General Timeframe maybe?) Also, is there any information as to how it's intended to be licensed? For instance, is each member of the team going to need an enterprise license to get reuse updates and such? Or, is a single enterprise license going to allow a way to push all packages to team members running community/professional? I see that there is already an ongoing beta for this product... Is there likely to be a trial version at the products release? Any more details I can squeeze out?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'll email you some details.

Thanks,

-Jim

Archived