Feedback for the Mac beta

Not sure if this is the right place to provide feedback - please move the post if not.

Feedback for the Mac beta:

• The first three times I ran it, it crashed (the report mentions an error 8 at Delete in VIPM Splash.vi for the file VI Package Managerrunning.tmp while writing the "is running" temp file in the splash screen
  • When VIPM opens, the status bar does show all sorts of packages it syncs/downloads from various places, but once it's done the package list seems outdated / inconsistent (see screenshot)
    • Mostly, it crashes showing error 10 (duplicate path) while trying to create /Library
    • After re-checking for package updates, VIPM tells me it could not access either the LabVIEW Tools Network (shouldn't that be called the NI Tools Network now?) nor the VI Package Network.
  • Cmd - , does not open the settings window
  • Applying a .vipc file does not work - but maybe that's due to all the other errors occurring before

image.png

Edited by Joerg Hampel

I'm using macOS Monterey version 12.2 (21D49) on an Intel MacBook Pro.

---------------

The KB entry indeed helped resolve the issues with file permissions. Applying .vipc files also works! The one thing I'm stuck at now is installing DQMH 6.1. The process errors out with the following information:

image.png

image.png

The 2nd error message already shows the problem - the KB entry misses a folder that also needs the staff group to be set: /resource/plugins/PopupMenus. So I added the following command:

sudo chgrp –R staff /Applications/National\ Instruments/LabVIEW\ 2022\ 64-bit/resource/plugins/PopupMenus

Now, the installation of DQMH succeeded!

(more to come...)

Edited by Joerg Hampel

The next problem is OpenG - or, rather, the user.lib:

image.png

So the next command to be executed is:

sudo chgrp -R staff /Applications/National\ Instruments/LabVIEW\ 2022\ 64-bit/user.lib/

Now, all the necessary OpenG packages for my project can be installed.

(still more to come...)

It seems that the webservices library is missing from my vi.lib:

image.png

As the error message hints at, the whole /wsapi/ folder is missing. I'm not sure about this one. Is there a way to fix this?

Edit: The NI System Configuration API (nisyscfg) and vi.lib/Platform/fileVersionInfo.llb:FileVersionInfo.vi also seem to be missing...

Edited by Joerg Hampel

Hi Joerg,

Those notes are great!

Question: Are you running LabVIEW Professional Edition or the Full Edition on Mac?

- I'm not sure about vi.lib/wsapi.  It might be a good idea to not rely on that for Escape HTTP URL.vi. If I recall correctly, such a VI has or does exist in several different locations.

- You may be able to copy vi.lib/Platform/fileVersionInfo.llb over from a Windows machine.

On 9/20/2022 at 8:38 PM, Jim Kring said:

- I'm not sure about vi.lib/wsapi.  It might be a good idea to not rely on that for Escape HTTP URL.vi. If I recall correctly, such a VI has or does exist in several different locations.

Actually, this "Escape HTTP URL.vi" from vi.lib/wsapi is being used in JKI's REST Client 😉 

image.png

Edited by Joerg Hampel

For added fun, I found an exact duplicate of the "Escape HTTP URL.vi" inside the JKI REST Client API: "Escape URL String.vi"!

image.png

image.png

I created an issue in the REST Client's GitHub repo: https://github.com/JKISoftware/JKI-HTTP-REST-Client/issues/22 (I'd have loved to create a merge request but I don't have LabVIEW 2013 available, 2016 is the oldest version still in use at HSE).

Edited by Joerg Hampel

Hi Joerg,

Actually, this "Escape HTTP URL.vi" from vi.lib/wsapi is being used in JKI's REST Client 😉
For added fun, I found an exact duplicate of the "Escape HTTP URL.vi" inside the JKI REST Client API: "Escape URL String.vi"!

Yep, this VI exists in several different locations... 🤪

I created an issue in the REST Client's GitHub repo: https://github.com/JKISoftware/JKI-HTTP-REST-Client/issues/22 (I'd have loved to create a merge request but I don't have LabVIEW 2013 available, 2016 is the oldest version still in use at HSE).

Please go ahead and up-save to LV 2016 (or 2017) and submit a PR, if that works OK for you.

We'll get a new build out.