VIPM 2.0 installation fails with file access problem

HJPhilippi

Hi there,

I wanted to install the VI Package Manager 2.0 I've just downloaded and run into an installation error:

post-2529-1220878562.png

The installer suspects a possible file access error but I don't think this actually is the case since I'm working with admin rights (as usual...) under Windows. Any idea what else could be the source of the problem? Some facts about my system:

- working with LV 8.6

- LV 8.2.1 runtime installed just for VIPM

- German Windows XP SP3

Thanks for any hint,

regards

Hans-Juergen Philippi

Hello Hans-Juergen,

I'm sorry to hear you're having installation trouble.

Can you please confirm that three file paths identified in the error message are writable by your user account? The error seems to be due to the user account (under which the installer is being run) having insufficient access access rights.

Can you also try right-clicking on the installer EXE and choosing "Run as..." to run the program as an administrator?

Thanks,

-Jim

Hi Jim,

thanks for your quick response!

Can you please confirm that three file paths identified in the error message are writable by your user account? The error seems to be due to the user account (under which the installer is being run) having insufficient access access rights.

Can you also try right-clicking on the installer EXE and choosing "Run as..." to run the program as an administrator?

I've investigated and tried all this and more (created arbitrary text files in the mentioned folders, started VIPM setup with admin account explicitely, disabled virus tool etc.) yesterday, it didn't bring any further info or success. But... a new day, a new game, and now the installation finished without any problem. Pretty weird.

:)

Maybe there was some other software running in the background or it was LV 8.6 I've started (and terminated) before running the installer or something like this?!

Anyway, thanks for the free VIPM Community Edition and once again for your assistance

Hans

I think I have heard of this happening before. I think somehow somebody has a lock on one (or more) of the file(s) being installed.

Could you tell us roughly when in the installation process this happen (when did you saw the blue progress bar jump or hang before you got the error message? was that around 25%, 50%, 75% or close to the end?)? There might be some way for us to mitigate this if we could pinpoint when this happened.

Thanks

Philippe

Hi Philippe,

Could you tell us roughly when in the installation process this happen [...]

I started the installation several times and it always happened pretty late, I think the blue progress bar was indeed completed as far as I can remember and then the error message appeared. And BTW: I did restart the computer right before the VIPM setup, since I'd just installed the LV 8.2.1 runtime that asked me to do so.

Windows as usual...

Grettings,

Hans

• 9 months later...

Archived