Replace *Typedef* enum with JKI Flat Enum (and edit the typedef)

nathan-murphy

I have a type def'd enum (not strict) and I want to change the style of it from classic to the JKI Flat one for my UI. Using a quick drop shortcut, I can easily change from system, to NXG, to classic, etc. The JKI flat controls don't show up in quick drop (as far as I can tell?) so I can't use the ctrl+p shortcut to replace it. I can use the right-click menu and navigate to where the control is on disk and replace it that way, but then it loses all of the items in the enumeration. Is there any way to support the same quick drop replacement shortcut to maintain enum items? (I know that I can use the Item Names property to recreate the enum, and that's what I did for my application, but it would be nice to have the same functionality for the Flat UI controls.)

Edited by Jim Kring
tweaked title to make it very specific
  • Upvote 1

Hi Nathan. We implemented Ctrl+P to replace in the 1.0.1 release of JKI Design Palette.

1) Select the enum you want to replace.

2) Press Ctrl-Shift-Space to activate the JKI Design Palette

3) Type "enum" and then select the enum in JKI Flat UI Controls 2.0 (mouse or tab key)

4) Press Ctrl+P to replace the selected enum on your VI FP with the JKI Flat UI Controls 2.0 enum you just selected in the Design Palette.

voilà!  

Ah - yep, that worked!

I usually try and keep my styles separate from the data types, rather than have my type defs styled a certain way, too. But I think for the convenience of not having to recreate my enum and still have it linked to the typedef then this is worth it. 

Thanks again Jim

Edit:
I opened my classic enum typdef, replaced it with the jki one, then to avoid replacing all instances of the type def with the JKI one, I went back to my front panel that I wanted to change, used the quick drop shortcut ctrl + p and selected my typedef. That replaced just the instances with the JKI enum, then I went back to my typedef and reverted it to the boring classic style. 

voilà!  

Edited by nathan-murphy
  • Like 1

You're welcome, Nathan. Glad to hear that it worked!

Thanks for posting all these questions and feedback as you're making progress and putting the Flat UI Controls and Design Palette through the paces. Your UI must really be coming along, and would love to see some examples of what you come up with, if you're able to share.

I think I might be able to share this specific utility I'm working on. It's a very small piece in the big picture of what I'm working on, and I use little utilities like this to try out new toolkits, modules, or LabVIEW components to see what might be worth bringing into our more mainstream code.

In this case, the utility I'm working on is an accuracy specification management tool. I can probably post a few screenshots and thoughts on the UI development once I finish it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nathan-murphy said:

I think I might be able to share this specific utility I'm working on. It's a very small piece in the big picture of what I'm working on, and I use little utilities like this to try out new toolkits, modules, or LabVIEW components to see what might be worth bringing into our more mainstream code.

In this case, the utility I'm working on is an accuracy specification management tool. I can probably post a few screenshots and thoughts on the UI development once I finish it up.

That would be great! Looking forward to seeing what you're been working on.