Build failed during "source distribution step"

Mellroth

Hi,

I'm currently converting a number of our internal modules with VIPM 3.0, and most of the modules are built OK, but some modules seems to fail in the very last step.

I have tried to use the OpenG builder directly on a top level VI in the modules, and they build OK in OpenG builder, but VIPM reports the following error;

post-2791-1256729139_thumb.jpg

What does this error mean?

Is there any build-log saved somewhere, explaining in more detail what went wrong?

Edit:

I noticed that you can get this error if a VI or ctl, that is calling a missing element, is included in the build.

In this case the build failure is OK, but the error message should indicate which VI or CTL that is causing the failure (for easier fix).

Ideally I would like the VIPM preferences to allow the user to just skip VIs with bad linking, and display a warning instead of this error.

The problem for me is that the VI that is causing this failure is correctly linked, no missing subVIs or missing CTL's.

/J

...The problem for me is that the VI that is causing this failure is correctly linked, no missing subVIs or missing CTL's...

This is really strange :wacko:

I've included a stripped down VI, that caused one of my build failures.

post-2791-1256753914_thumb.png

GUI_Tools_LVMOD__DynamicGUI_SubPanel_1.vi

If the attached VI is included in my real package build, the build fails.

But if I create a new module containing only this VI, the package build is OK, and to get my original build working it is enough to remove the "Sine Wave PtByPt.vi".

Since the cause of the build error is very hard to track down, I really wish for an improved error from the VIPM. Pinpointing the VI causing the error.

/J

OK. I was able to reproduce the issue (missing VI in the source folder). When this happens (or other errors occur), you can check the error log files located, here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\JKI\VIPM\error

In my test, it produced the following:

=========== START of VIPM Error Message ===========
An internal VIPM Error has occured on: Saturday October 31, 2009 at 01:07:15 PM

= Automated Message Start = 
Error 7 occurred at Error 7 occurred at Invoke Node in Read Linker Info__ogb.vi->Read Linker Info 
from File__ogb.vi->Read VI Linking Info from Files (w err)__ogb.vi->Generate Resources Copy 
Info__ogb.vi->Build Application__ogb.vi->Build Application from Build File__ogb.vi->Build 
Application from Build File__ogb.vi.ProxyCaller
Possible reason(s):
LabVIEW:  File not found. The file might have been moved or deleted, or the file path might be 
incorrectly formatted for the operating system. For example, use \ as path separators on Windows, : 
on Mac OS, and / on Linux. Verify that the path is correct using the command prompt or file 
explorer.
=========================
NI-488:  Nonexistent GPIB interface.
Error Conditions:
Read VI Linking Info.
VI files listed below or some of their dependencies do not exist.
Open all the VIs listed, recompile them, and save them to update their dependencies.
1  : D:\JKI\Internal\LabVIEW Tools\JKI Toolkit\String\.source\Vertical String.vi

Method Name: Linker:Read Info From File
D:\JKI\Internal\LabVIEW Tools\JKI Toolkit\String\.source\New.vi
Possible reason(s):
LabVIEW:  File not found. The file might have been moved or deleted, or the file path might be 
incorrectly formatted for the operating system. For example, use \ as path separators on Windows, : 
on Mac OS, and / on Linux. Verify that the path is correct using the command prompt or file 
explorer.
=========================
NI-488:  Nonexistent GPIB interface.
= Automated Message End =

= Error Handler Call Chain Start =
54D2245E470720481F84F1814A9A98B9->
4E7C998AE57AE1D967DF0265A668032E->
91E96C108F86D9E95051E7FA71E90326
= Error Handler Call Chain End =
=========== END of VIPM Error Message ===========

For example, you can see from the error message that "Vertical String.vi" can't find a subVI named "New.vi".

Hopefully this helps.

...OK. I was able to reproduce the issue (missing VI in the source folder). When this happens (or other errors occur), you can check the error log files located, here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\JKI\VIPM\error

Hi Jim,

I realize I wasn't clear enough; the strange failure comes when the VI is correctly linked to a vi.lib method from NI. I found the error log, and there is no mention of the "Sine Wave PtByPt.vi" or the calling VI in there.

I encountered three different build failures;

1. If a VI was outside the source folder, (and not in user.lib, vi.lib etc.)

2. If a diagram disable structure contained links to non-executable code in one of the disabled cases

3. build failed when I used the "Sine Wave PtByPt.vi", but not in all VIPM builds (I took out the VI causing the failure, and added that to a separate build, and now it builds OK).

(1) could be OK as long as the documentation states that you can not link to code outside your source folder, but I would rather see a warning about possibly bad linking.

(2) The problem with this one is that if I open the code in LabVIEW everything is OK, but the build fails anyway.

(3) This is the really bad one since it it a link to a NI internal VI that causes the build to fail. It also bothers me that the same linking might work in another build.

I had to remove file by file to find what VI was causing the failure, but even then I could not really understand why it failed. So I had to remove part by part within this VI, just to find that it was the call to "Sine Wave PtByPt.vi" that caused the build to fail.

/J

• 3 months later...

I am recieving the same Build failed during "source distribution step" dialog box

Here is what the error log file says:

An internal VIPM Error has occured on: Thursday February 04, 2010 at 01:02:53 PM

Error 1031 occurred at Open VI Reference in Filter Illegal File Names__ogb.vi->Generate Resources

Copy Info__ogb.vi->Build Application__ogb.vi->Build Application from Build File__ogb.vi->Build

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: VI Reference type does not match VI connector pane.

VI Path: C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2009\vi.lib\Utility\libraryn.llb\Is Name

Multiplatform.vi

any ideas?

I am recieving the same Build failed during "source distribution step" dialog box

Here is what the error log file says:

An internal VIPM Error has occured on: Thursday February 04, 2010 at 01:02:53 PM

Error 1031 occurred at Open VI Reference in Filter Illegal File Names__ogb.vi->Generate Resources

Copy Info__ogb.vi->Build Application__ogb.vi->Build Application from Build File__ogb.vi->Build

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: VI Reference type does not match VI connector pane.

VI Path: C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2009\vi.lib\Utility\libraryn.llb\Is Name

Multiplatform.vi

any ideas?

Hi Sam,

I think the problem is that you need to upgrade the OpenG Builder (ogrsc_builder) package to version 3.0.0.9. Which version are you currently running?

After you upgrade to the latest version of OpenG Builder, restart LabVIEW and run it from the Tools menu. This will mass compile OpenG Builder. You should then be able to successfully build your VI Package.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

-Jim

Archived