[Bug?] Upgrading Community To Professional

jgcode

VIPM 2010.0.1 Professional

When I upgraded to VIPM 2010 Pro, I noticed the follow things happen:

• Company Name was updated on an existing VIPB file (but I didn't want it to change)
  • I was forced to reconnect to LabVIEW (even though I already had done this in Community Edition)

Cheers

-Jon

VIPM 2010.0.1 Professional

When I upgraded to VIPM 2010 Pro, I noticed the follow things happen:

• Company Name was updated on an existing VIPB file (but I didn't want it to change)
  • I was forced to reconnect to LabVIEW (even though I already had done this in Community Edition)

Cheers

-Jon

The default behavior is to always use your registered VIPM Company Name in the package description. This can be changed if you manually enter a different company name. Since this value was never edited. VIPM uses the new company name registered. This can also be changed if you open the build folder on a different machine with a VIPM version registered under a different company name.

We are looking at fixing this in future versions. We already have an internal report of this issue [case 9292]. Thanks for bringing it to our attention in the case where community edition gets upgraded to pro.

In regards to the issue of connecting to LabVIEW being reset. I have filed a bug report [case 10447] for this.

I cannot reproduce the issue where LabVIEW targets tested was reset.

What process did you go through to upgrade? I assume you just edited the activation code? Or did you actually install a new version of VIPM? If so, from what version of VIPM did you upgrade from and to which version did you upgrade to?

I noticed this when I went from the current 2010.0.1 release of the Community version to the (same VIPM) Professional version by editing the Activation Code. I have been using Community for ages to install packages (so I was connected), but as soon as I upgraded I was asked to test the connection - unfortunately it was not something I could try to repeat at this end.

I think I also remember this happening when I went from VIPM 3.0 Professional to VIPM 2010 Community at work. But I can't be 100% as it was a while ago and I didn't keep any notes but its in my head because I remember I had an application open, and I wanted to install a package and VIPM was asking me to connect but I didn't want to restart LabVIEW because my PC was superslow and I had a large project and all the palettes loaded :)

Hi Michael

In both cases it was the next time I wanted to install a new package from disk, as opposed to building.

When I tired I got the "you are not connected" dialog or similar.

I think VIPM 3.0 let me skip the Test Connection (assuming I know its all good).

And I think VIPM 2010 forces me to Test Connection - which required a restart of LabVIEW.

Cheers

-Jon

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you let it configure and test LabVIEW, does the problem go away?

Yes.

The ogp filter you entered does not relate to the file extension at all. In addition, we don't do any differentiation between the two types of packages in regards to LabVIEW connection testing.

Of course - whilst making the video I realised that (hence removed the extension) but the package returned by the query was an '.ogp' type package (which is all I was trying to do). The next search was for 'icon' so I could pick a '.vip' type package.

But this was not my point - the point is that I was able to install an '.ogp' type package without testing the connection, but VIPM acts differently for a '.vip' type package. I thought this was inconsistent and may be related to the OP?

Cheers

-JG

Archived