Package failing to install - VIPM "Busy"

Steen Schmidt

Hi.

Some time shortly after upgrading from VIPM 2011 to 2012.0.1 my VIPs now fail to install correctly. The packages are both scripts that stems from VIPB 2011 and then updated a couple of times with VIPB 2012, as well as a couple of brand new ones created with VIPB 2012 - all behave the same.

The issue started with toolsets not showing up in the palettes after install, so I manually had to edit the LV palette set and import the .mnu-files (since it is VIPs I've made myself it was easy for me to find the files in the vi.lib dir, but for a third party this step would've been difficult). Lately this problem has evolved into one of VIPB 2012 just hanging at the "Busy" screen after I've pressed the "Finish" button:

post-3784-0-05898400-1355136660_thumb.png

The above happens on my development machine which is running Win7 64-bit, and the situation is the same when installing the packages for either LV 2010 SP1, 2011 SP1 or 2012f3 (all 32-bit versions). The VIs are developed in LV 2010 SP1.

BUT, when I install the same packages on another machine (I've tried WinXP 32-bit with only LV 2010 SP1 installed) everything goes smoothly. The install runs as expected, the palettes get updated etc.

What can be causing this? Could it be something with the palette situation on my dev machine? LabVIEW creates a new set of palette files in the Documents folder when you start editing the built-in palettes (as you're probably well aware), and these files might be harder to update correctly (it can at least be quite tricky to find the correct palette file to update, as they are stored in version and bit-dependent subfolders). Does any of this ring a bell?

Cheers,

Steen

GPower

Make sure you are running the latest version of VIPM. In the about screen it should say build 1818 Nov 21 2012.

Ok, now I updated from build 1814 to 1818 and now I can install the packages - thanks. But the palettes on LV 2010 SP1 still do not update after I install VIPs. On 2011 and 2012 it works, so I must have something amiss with those LV 2010 palette files on one of my machines. I'll take a look at it.

Thanks Michael!

Cheers,

Steen

Now I tried restoring the palette set to default (with the button in LV 2010's palette editor), but that didn't remedy the issue. I also tried a couple of other toolsets that I know installed perfectly earlier (with VIPM 2011). If something has gone wrong with my LV 2010 install, that reverting to the default palette set can't fix, or if it's an issue with VIPM 2012 I don't know. I'm inclined to believe the former, that it's my LV install that is somehow corrupt. I'll see if I can find something out since i need this to work.

I unfortunately can't go back to trying with VIPM 2011 right now, as I don't think I have the install file for that anywhere.

I'll return here if I find the reason for my problem.

Cheers,

Steen

Archived