<Tags> in Package Descriptions do not Display on Community Package Page

Hello,

I was delighted to have a VIPM community package published recently. However, I have noticed a discrepancy between the package description on the Community Package Page vs in the VIPM browser: I had a few placeholders in '<>' tags in the package description text but they do not display on the Community Package Page. I don't see them in the page source either - they have been stripped away.

Here's what I mean:

I can't remember now whether I typed the description into a box during submission or whether it was auto-copied from the package. Either way, I don't remember seeing a warning about tags, but I might have missed it. Perhaps it's being stripped away because it looks like html formatting.

Is this something you were aware of? I am happy to resubmit my package after swapping '<>' for something else e.g. '[ ]' . Or if there are actions that you could take to prevent this on your end, let me know!

Many thanks

Leah

• Upvote 1

Thanks for reporting this issue.

Right now, the description on the website is taken directly from the package's spec file and the <nothing> string is getting removed because the website has to strip HTML tags from the description.  We're considering good solutions, which might be to just let users manually edit the description on the website (and possibly add a flag that prevents it from auto-updating when new packages are published).

Regards,

-Jim