File and Permissions Issues on Ubuntu Linux

Testing this out on Ubuntu 20.04 with LabVIEW 2022 Q3 Professional and VIPM is unable to connect to LabVIEW. When testing the connection, it opens LabVIEW but then times out on the connection, have verified that VI Server is enabled and the port being used matches between LabVIEW and VIPM. On a second attempt, now receive a message that another LabVIEW version is at the specified port or path. Only have LabVIEW 2022 Q3 installed on the machine.

Also when launching VIPM, launching with elevated privileges, if waiting for all the feeds to downloads it crashes and closes with a file permission error. If canceling out the feed download this doesn't crash. If not launching with elevated privileges, receive an Error 8 on launch of VIPM and then just shows the splash screen VI. Attaching the error log that is produced. 

error.txt

Edited by adamarbor

Hi @adamarbor,

Thanks for giving VIPM 2022 on Linux a try. It's great you've gotten it to start up on Ubuntu (and give some errors) since that can be tricky with alien :)

First, can you share which build number of VIPM 2022 you're running?

Next, we've been putting some docs together on ubuntu here: 

https://docs.vipm.io/linux/ubuntu/

That doc is far from being super helpful at this point, so I'll share some info here (and we'll be updating those docs along the way).

A.) Running VIPM as a root user.

I noticed in your VIPM error log that it couldn't find the LabVIEW config file for the root user (shown below).

/root/natinst/.config/LabVIEW-2022/labview.conf

This means that VIPM was running as root and you have not (nor should you) run LabVIEW as root (which would create/save a LabVIEW config file the root user).

Tricking VIPM-running-as-root to use your default user's LabVIEW config file

To run VIPM as "root" and LabVIEW as "adam" you can create symbolic link at "/root/natinst/.config" (where VIPM is looking) that points to the "adam" user's natinst config folder (~adam/natinst/.config).

Here is an example shell command to create such a link:

sudo ln -s ~adam/natinst/.config /root/natinst/.config

B.) Running VIPM as a normal (non-root) user

Note that you may not want to run VIPM as root, but rather as your default "adam" user.

However, running VIPM as a normal user will require you make various VIPM files and folders writeable to normal users.

Files to Make Writeable to Normal Users (if running VIPM as a normal, non-root user)

Here are a list of files and folders you will want to make writeable to normal users:

The VIPM application folder and files:

/usr/local/jki/VIPM

The following folder and files here:

/etc/JKI

The LabVIEW folder and files:

/usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2022-64

Also, keep in mind that when VIPM launches LabVIEW, if VIPM is running as root then it'll launch LabVIEW as root.

You probably don't want to run LabVIEW or VIPM as root.  We're working on a fix that will allow running VIPM as root (e.g via a "sudo" command) but have LabVIEW get launched by VIPM as the user who launched VIPM with the sudo command -- but, that's not implemented yet.

I hope this is helpful to getting you up and running.

Let us know how it goes...

Hi @Jim Kring,

Thanks for the additional info, I wasn't setting file permissions correctly (didn't use recursive when changing ownership), once I changed that, I was able to get VIPM working and connected to LabVIEW 2021 SP1 on Ubuntu 20.04 and installing packages. However, following the same steps I got this working on LabVIEW 2021 SP1, I was unable to get VIPM to connect to LabVIEW 2022 on Ubuntu 20.04. It will launch LabVIEW but gives a message that another instance is already running. I am now running this as non-root user to follow the best practices.

Not sure if this is an issue with the VIPM beta or with LabVIEW itself, as LabVIEW 2022 doesn't install as easily as LabVIEW 2021SP1, requires installing additional packages, I think related to NI Wine, prior to being able to install LabVIEW. I had LabVIEW closed prior to clicking verify connection, and it launched LabVIEW but then stated it couldn't connect due to another instance using that port. Same results if I already have LabVIEW open prior to clicking the verify connection button.

=========== START of VIPM 2014.0 (build 0000) Error Message ===========
An internal VIPM 2014.0 (build 0000) Error has occured on: Monday October 03, 2022 at 12:15:11 PM

= Automated Message Start = 
Error 42 occurred at 8DA1F9ED69A22281A0B87F6B610AF59D

Possible reason(s):

Could not connect to LabVIEW 2022 (64-bit) (22.0 (64-bit)) on TCP/IP port 3363, because LabVIEW 
2022 (22.3.1f8) is already running and using that port. Please close LabVIEW 2022 and try again.
Target: /usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2022-64/labviewprofull
Actual: /usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2022-64/labviewprofull

Complete call chain:
     8DA1F9ED69A22281A0B87F6B610AF59D
     VIPM Configure LV Port.vi
     Options.lvlib:VIPM Options Window.vi
     VIPM Main Window.vi
= Automated Message End =

= User Defined Message Start = 
    Testing the LV connection from the test connection dialog.
= User Defined Message End =

= Error Handler Call Chain Start =
    VIPM Main Window.vi->
    Options.lvlib:VIPM Options Window.vi->
    VIPM Configure LV Port.v
= Error Handler Call Chain End =
=========== END of VIPM 2014.0 (build 0000) Error Message ===========

Thanks,

Adam

Edited by adamarbor
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...