What exactly are VI Package Build Templates (.vipt)?

I stumbled upon these today in VI package builder under File > Save As Template , but I am struggling to find the documentation.

Am I right in saying they allow you to set the Source Directory, Product Name and Company Name upon opening the .vipt file (including where they are used e.g. in automatic package filename), but pre-set other fields of the new .vipc? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeahEdwards said:

Am I right in saying they allow you to set the Source Directory, Product Name and Company Name upon opening the .vipt file (including where they are used e.g. in automatic package filename), but pre-set other fields of the new .vipc? 

Yes, that’s the general idea. Please let me know how it goes.

BTW, we’re working on updated documentation here (and it’s far from complete) as there are a lot of new features in the works.

https://docs.vipm.io/package-building/vi-packages-build-templates/

BTW: the documentation is in a public GitHub repository, so you can suggest edits by clicking on the little edit icon ✍️

4670DF11-EFB0-43EE-A29B-FD339719036C.jpeg

-Jim

• Like 1

Thanks for clarifying @Jim Kring. The new documentation centre looks great, handy being able to edit too.

Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to use VIPT files for what I need to do. I have a template LabVIEW project which has a VIPC, and I want to replace every instance of the word "TEMPLATE" in the VIPC when a new project is spun up. This includes places like the product description summary, product description and pallette names.

I believe in the past I would have been able to edit the xml of the VIPC but it seems that it doesn't work on VIPM Free any more, and I can't guarantee the template users will have Pro. Am I missing something here?