build fails with error 7

shb

Hello

Often when I try to build a package I get the following error message:

There was a problem building MyPackage.

Error Details:
Code: 7
Source: Ordner anzeigen in 5EC32D65DB893014F50B6BE29714A044->5CD014F79D564136DF7EDCAE8697C8EC->3C8A51DC72B459801102CB2B0DB10462->F7BEB1F5BC6EFF6645D5C53D6E0C6A60->F9DCFCE23D2FBC8F7420D001A1FDC8CA<APPEND>
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\VIPB Temp\Source Distribution

The folder C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\VIPB Temp does not exist when I check thereafter.

I first thought the problem is LabVIEW running as a different user than VIPM. (This would mean an other temporary directory. This happens when I start VIPM as an administrator and LabVIEW is already running as a normal user.) But I double checked that LabVIEW runs as the same one.

This error happened to me for several (simple) packages. All of them have a palette, some contain VIs. Some packages I could build after several tries, some not.

I run Windows Vista. I try to build the package with LabVIEW 8.6 and 2009. The Version of VIPM is 2010.

Thanks for your grate tools! I use many of them.

Greetings,

shb

Hello

Often when I try to build a package I get the following error message:

There was a problem building MyPackage.

Error Details:
Code: 7
Source: Ordner anzeigen in 5EC32D65DB893014F50B6BE29714A044->5CD014F79D564136DF7EDCAE8697C8EC->3C8A51DC72B459801102CB2B0DB10462->F7BEB1F5BC6EFF6645D5C53D6E0C6A60->F9DCFCE23D2FBC8F7420D001A1FDC8CA<APPEND>

The folder C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\VIPB Temp does not exist when I check thereafter.

I first thought the problem is LabVIEW running as a different user than VIPM. (This would mean an other temporary directory. This happens when I start VIPM as an administrator and LabVIEW is already running as a normal user.) But I double checked that LabVIEW runs as the same one.

This error happened to me for several (simple) packages. All of them have a palette, some contain VIs. Some packages I could build after several tries, some not.

I run Windows Vista. I try to build the package with LabVIEW 8.6 and 2009. The Version of VIPM is 2010.

Thanks for your grate tools! I use many of them.

Greetings,

shb

Hi there,

Thanks for using JKI products :) I'm happy you like them.

Have you tried building your package on other computers and other operating systems like XP or Windows 7? It does seem odd that the temp build folder would disappear before the build is completed!?! Maybe it is related to running VIPM and LabVIEW as different users, but you do say that you tested that...

Thanks,

-Jim

Hi there,

Thanks for using JKI products :) I'm happy you like them.

Have you tried building your package on other computers and other operating systems like XP or Windows 7? It does seem odd that the temp build folder would disappear before the build is completed!?! Maybe it is related to running VIPM and LabVIEW as different users, but you do say that you tested that...

Thanks,

-Jim

Hi Jim,

there are no other computers or operating systems with LabVIEW installed. I hope to have time to test this, but probably not soon.

I get the same error message for LabVIEW 8.6 and 2009 for every package, independent of the user LabVIEW is running as. But the error can change dependent on the package. I have already sent one, here are two more.

Error 7 too, but earlier in process and with different VIs and a different path:

<snip>
Source: Ordner anzeigen in A260329AC79BCE22CA6719A97EBBFEBD->64F9A1CFFF03F5D7BFAA5365412029A8->B42E2EC575E1D8D367E9ECAEF7C41062->F9DCFCE23D2FBC8F7420D001A1FDC8CA<APPEND>
PathToPackageDestination\.PackageName

Error 8:

There was a problem building PackageName.

Error Details:
Code: 8
Source: Error 8 occurred at Create Folder in DEAB Create Dir if Non-Existant__ogb.vi->Create Target Dirs and LLBs__ogb.vi->Build Application__ogb.vi->Build Application from Build File__ogb.vi->Build Application from Build File__ogb.vi.ProxyCaller

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  File permission error. You do not have the correct permissions for the file.
=========================
NI-488:  DMA hardware error detected.

Error Conditions:
Create Target Directory error:
Directory Path: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\VIPB Temp\Source Distribution\LabVIEW\vi.lib\EnterpriseName\PackageName

• 2 weeks later...
This really looks like a file permissions error, where VIPM does not have permission to create the temp folder required to do the build. Are you certain that your user account has permission to write to the temp folder? This is really odd -- sorry it's such a tough problem to debug.

It looks like the user has permissions to the folder. I navigated to the Temp directory in VIPM and LabVIEW and was able to create it. But today I always get error 7 on the directory "PathToPackageDestination\.PackageName". So I can not clearly check this.

Is the directory name with a preceeding dot really used? I never see this directory.

Greetings,

shb

It looks like the user has permissions to the folder. I navigated to the Temp directory in VIPM and LabVIEW and was able to create it. But today I always get error 7 on the directory "PathToPackageDestination\.PackageName". So I can not clearly check this.

Is the directory name with a preceeding dot really used? I never see this directory.

Greetings,

shb

Do you have write permission to the folder that contains your VI Package Source Folder? When VIPM builds your package, it creates a copy of your VI Package Source in the same folder as your VI Package Source Folder, but with a dot "." in front of it. If VIPM can't create this folder, then the build will fail.

Do you have write permission to the folder that contains your VI Package Source Folder? When VIPM builds your package, it creates a copy of your VI Package Source in the same folder as your VI Package Source Folder, but with a dot "." in front of it. If VIPM can't create this folder, then the build will fail.

I can create a new sibling folder from the file dialog from VIPM. So this means yes probably. (Of course windows forbids me to create a name starting with a dot out of a dialog.)

And in this case I must correct: The reported directory is "ParentPathOfPackageSource\.PackageName". On my computer this is "D:\Data\LabVIEW\Packages\.PackageName". The drive D is my data partition (on the internal hard disc).

Greetings,

shb

Some more details. I can create the folder "D:\Data\LabVIEW\Packages\.PackageName" from LabVIEW (which runs as the same user as VIPM). When I try to create the package thereafter, the error message is the same as before. (An existing path would throw error 10.)

The issue is solved by VIPM 2010.0.1!

It tells me that I am not allowed to create a package with no files. (I only wanted to include a function palette.) And when I include a file it works. Great. Thanks for the update.

(And thanks for updating the news line. It is always nice to see action on feedback.)

Greetings,

shb

The issue is solved by VIPM 2010.0.1!

It tells me that I am not allowed to create a package with no files. (I only wanted to include a function palette.) And when I include a file it works. Great. Thanks for the update.

(And thanks for updating the news line. It is always nice to see action on feedback.)

Greetings,

shb

Great! I'm happy to hear that VIPM 2010.0.1 solves this problem :)

Thanks for all your help in reporting this issue to us.

-Jim

Archived