Packing Helper VIs AND applications in same package

ColinR

Hi.

I've got a couple tools libraries with utility and high-level applications built using the library vis that operate as standalone apps. These don't seem to be best included as members of a palette. Rather, if the user had a shortcut or a place in a user-specified folder to execute them from, that would probably work best. I prefer, for example, to simply open the library and use the utility vis and top-level vis as I need them.

Now, I could see where if they were all stand-alone executables, you could just run an installer after the library was installed. If, however, I want to have a standalone vi with a user-viewable/editable block diagram, this would not be the best approach.

So, how do I include top-level application vis with my API to make it easiest for the user to employ and install?

Thanks,

Colin

Colin,

You can use VI Package Builder to build a package that will install the VIs under desired menu instead of the palettes.

Here is the configuration in VI Package Builder: http://screencast.com/t/XyZsAwQb02fh

Here is the result after building and installing the package: http://screencast.com/t/iI4YrGUtiFHv

You can configure the VI to run on launch and stopping the VI should not close the Front Panel. This will allow the user to use the VI and even see the block diagram for editing purpose.

Is it what you were looking for?

Thanks! This is perfect.

I understand about vis in the Start Menu, however if it's a fully built app that you include in a tookit with a library and API, they're two different things being bundled in the same package. So, for example, if I built a standalone app that is protected and packaged it with a library, as a user I'd be able to run the app without LabVIEW. I understand this is not the problem I posed, but another relevant one.

As for expectations, I've never downloaded anything and run it from the Tools menu, so that's likely more a function of all the different ways people use LabVIEW. I've downloaded libraries and used them from where I put them or used installer packages that put my app in the start menu.

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Archived