Add Dropbox/OneDrive shared folder link as repository

kosist

Is it possible to add Dropbox/OneDrive shared folder (by link) as repository using "Repository Manager" window? It allows to select just local folders. When I've tried to change it to public url and publish the package, it didn't work...

My point is to create repository from which we could download toolkits internally in our company.

What is strange, that VIPM changes URL to lower case letters - so url of Dropbox shared folder is not valid anymore, because it has upper/lower cases, thus making it as lowercase change URL completely.

Thank you very much,

Sincerely, Ivan.

Hi @kosist

Thanks for sharing this question and feedback.  At one point this worked with Dropbox, but I think they changed it so that you can no longer serve static sites/files over HTTP.  I'm not sure about OneDrive.  Basically, you'll need something that can host all the repository files as a static website.

Regarding the issue where VIPM changes URL to lower case letters: There's actually a work-around for this.

You can add the URL and then fix it in the VIPM settings INI file, as described here:

[18866] Package Repository URL is coerced to lowercase when adding (should preserve case when adding)

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this or other ideas.

Thanks,

-Jim

• Like 1

Thank you very much! I've already tried that (added URL directly to ini file) but it didn't help. I guess there is really issue with Dropbox. 

Most probably we would do the following - add OneDrive (or Dropbox) folder to the same locations on all our PCs, and then treat them as local repositories...

• Like 1

You're welcome and I'm glad we were able to find and fix a bug in VIPM.

BTW, I had a typo in my response to you. I meant to say "I think they changed it so that you can no longer serve static sites/files over HTTP."

Yes, some users have found success in having DropBox/Google Drive/Box.com/OneDrive replicate the repository locally as a network hard drive or folder, and then have each VIPM client reference it as a local repository.

Let me know how that works for you.

• Like 1

We've implemented the following solution.

One Drive is mapped to the same location on all PCs (Public Documents), and we have shared one folder as repository folder. So we could publish packages to that location from any PC, and scan it as VIPM repository.

Thank you for your help,

Sincerely, Ivan.

• Like 1