VIPM API: Allow major version number to be 0

Joerg Hampel

Question

With VIPM 2020.3 (build 2540) and VIPM API 2020.0.2.73, it's not possible to supply a major number of 0 via the API, the API returns an error 42:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-02 um 12.20.31.png

Seeing as we also build projects that are in a pre-v1.0 state, I don't see a reason to not allow the major build number to be 0.

I was actually tempted to file a bug report... 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 answers to this question

Hi Joerg,

Great idea. A couple comments/questions:

I see that the VI Package Builder GUI defaults to 1 for the major version, yet it allows changing it to 0. It also allows you to build and install such a package (with 0 as the major version), just fine. More so, I see there are several packages in the wild (on vipm.io) that use 0 as the major version number, too. So, it would seem reasonable to allow the VIPM API to support this, too, and it wouldn't introduce any new problems.

Which VIPM API VIs are you calling and how you're using it? I'm assuming you probably have an existing .vipb file and you're using "Read VI Package Build Spec.vi" and then "Write VI Package Build Spec.vi" to update a value such as the build number, as shown below.

image.png

Thanks for posting the idea and for your additional input.

Jim, as always, your elaboration is spot on. Here's a screenshot of what our tools do:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-03 um 17.28.41.png

So other than the fact that we write all the build numbers in one go (the whole cluster), it's what you described above.

Thanks for taking the suggestion into consideration.

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification on your use case -- it's very helpful (and exciting) to see the code in action that does the automated builds of your VI Packages!

We've done some work on a fix for this issue (we're calling it a "bug") and I'll ping you off-line so you can test it out, if you'd like.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 10:35 PM, Jim Kring said:

Thanks for the clarification on your use case -- it's very helpful (and exciting) to see the code in action that does the automated builds of your VI Packages!

We've done some work on a fix for this issue (we're calling it a "bug") and I'll ping you off-line so you can test it out, if you'd like.

Is this issue fixed? The issue is still present in the 2020.0.2.73 version of VIPM API which appears to be the latest.

On 10/7/2022 at 12:45 AM, Jim Kring said:

We've been working on a real command-line interface, so I'm not sure if we actually updated the VI-based API.

It would be great if that fix made it back into the official release. If at all possible, we'd prefer to keep using the API from our LabVIEW-based tools.